Thursday, 11 September 2014

Week 12


Final reflections of COMM11007...Hooray we made it!

 

This has been a challenging course for me. English was my worst subject at school (a long time ago now!) and this course brought back horrible memories of sitting in school trying to make sense of it all.
From the time of having this course approved to do as cross institutional to actually starting the course, its content had changed. I came in and saw the work and wanted to melt down and cry. Knowing I can’t do anything to change it, I did what I always do. I got in and worked it out and did the best I could to push through it all. There was no dropping this subject, I had to suck it up and do it!

The most beneficial thing about the course was learning to use Twitter. I still don’t like using it for posting things myself, but I do like how I can get news that is current on it. As a mother I always miss watching the news on TV, or getting to read news on the web proves just as hard. So after learning to use Twitter, I have found myself in those rare moments of no one around, checking it to see what is happening in the world! The local news to me is not of huge importance, and frankly, the things that get Tweeted here are not really on a large impact scale. I enjoy being up to date with real news and real issues. Usually the depressing things people on purpose do not watch the news for, but I find it is important. Some of those events can have impact on us one way or another. The GFC is a great example. I have a handful of friends who have no idea about how it happened or why. They just complain that things are so expensive now, like their rent. Then there is geeky me, who likes to know why, why, why? I do not like living under a rock or being ignorant to things that impact other people somewhere in the world. Just because it does not affect us directly, does not mean we should not care about others.  So Twitter now is a whole new way to get news for me!

I have also taken from this course some good tips to apply from a corporate perspective, be it public relations and media releases, or marketing tips for visual consumers.

The most challenging part of this course was the blog work. I am not a fan of blog work. I find it eats away at time, and often trying to get it published or look right takes away from the main points. It is all part of it at the end of the day, but it would be easier if other student’s asides from a handful did the work as well. Blog work becomes harder and more frustrating when not everybody is on board.
Again, as a parent, time management is so important. For me to go and review other student’s blogs and interact I am on restricted time. I am lucky I have my regulars I can review, but I hate how a criteria for an assessment depends on others. I do not like having to rely on others to catch up due to their poor time management, or care for their own work, so I can submit an assessment I know I put time and effort into. Not to mention juggling all other things we have in our lives.

I am not sure if the course has changed how I feel about media writing. As I said in the last post, growing up, my mother was strict on English and grammar, so I have always been able to pick writing and TV presenters to bits and point out their errors. If anything this course has probably made me pickier with it all! My poor family having to listen to me say ‘He said that wrong!’

Reviewing my blog

Ok, so I have reviewed and reviewed, and I think I have got most things sorted. With that said, I am sure before I hit the submit button I will check again. And after I hit submit I will find something to fix! I have gone through the weeks and found only two and a half activities not really done. The rest I have ticked everything off. Those ones I have missed I would have been caught up in usual life dramas and missed it. Or as in the audio script activity, hit a wall with it. I have checked my letter 'I' use, and capital letters and punctuation. I think I have it right but time will tell!
 

Quizzes!


I have completed all the quizzes! I have made sure I got full marks.
I found the most challenging of these the ones that involved, nouns, pro nouns, verbs and the like! Oh they made me hurt! The easier ones were punctuation and words.

I think these have helped me to be a better a writer because it has taught me to ‘stop, check, check, check, are you sure that’s right? Is that the right word? Is that in the right spot?’ and practice that in my own work. With that said I am still not the best at English and expect a few errors to pop up on this blog still and in future assignments! I am only human J
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adelle,

    Just popping in to post my final comment. What a relief! We did it, and somehow managed to post all/majority of the terms weekly activities. I must say a big thank you for all your help and mental support throughout the term. Our 100 emails back and forth definitely made getting through this subject a lot easier. It's nice to know that other students are also on the same page, and feel the stress and pressure as I do.

    When I saw the weekly content, I almost died too. So far it has been my most full on subject. But I bit my tongue and just got on with it. In saying that, it is always a nice achievement to know that you have completed a challenging subject. In the end it will all be worth it. Now fingers crossed we pass. :)

    I also agree, it does help when other students keep up with the weekly blog activities. I find that I learn more from the content other student’s posts. This is because their ideas provide me with a different perspective on situations.

    In many situations I had to refer to other students blogs for assistance. Mainly because I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning. However, this was hard to do when only two or three students kept up to date with course content.

    Overall, I found your blog to be of high-quality. I loved learning about your chickens and seeing how dedicated you are to your animals.

    Best of luck in your future subjects. Hopefully I will see you enrolled in some of the same subjects next term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bianca, Its been awesome working with you ;)

    ReplyDelete