Thursday, 11 September 2014

Week 10

Visual consumer inquiry


I chose to review the Fitzroy Island website.


 After going through this website I found many things that related to this week’s study materials.
Their use of visual principles followed the study guide to a tee!
Colour-This website has used images that contain a lot of blue (ocean and pools) and green (rain forest) which gives the consumer the feeling of calm, happiness and fun, and nature.

They use photos with these colours for a background image with lightened value, and then used the darker text over the top. Where they have used solid darker colours they have then used the lighter text.

At times (photos change) they use photos of sunsets that have a nice orange colour which is meant to give the feeling of happy and fun also.

The simple use of these colour techniques makes this website very visually appealing to the consumer. It is simple and not harsh and draws your focus to the page.
Logo-The logo for Fitzroy Island is very simple and contains only three colours; green, blue and yellow. Blue for the ocean, green for the forest, and yellow for the sun.

Words and Font-This website has chosen to use Arial font which gives a more informal, relaxed feel to the reader.
The introduction is strong with short and simple paragraphs with basic ‘need to know’ information. Headings are simple and have been made bold, with not drawing attention away from the focus of the page.
The use of white space between text and promotional boxes makes it easy for the consumer to scan the website to find the relevant information to them.
Balance- All the main photos used to enhance the message of the website have been place in the top centre with main information flowing underneath. This draws in the eye of the consumer as central focus.

The layout is easy to follow and does not seem heavy and draw away from the message that Fitzroy Island is trying to promote.

This website appeals to me as it easy and simple to use and you can locate what you need fairly quickly. It also gives you the urge for the need to relax and getaway! I chose this website to look at as I love the beach and have a passion for snorkelling so anything with that features those things grabs me instantly!

Review my blog


It was very tedious going back through my blog looking for spelling errors and lay out errors.

 I edited pages where I could, and although some headings appear small and in grey, in my construction page they are black and large. I have argued with my computer about this and I have decided to let it be as it is a technical thing beyond me as to why it is turning it grey and small as I publish it.

I think the layout is clean and simple. Not too overpowering  or with too much happening on the page. I have seen a few that have so much information on them they have scared me away! I have set things out with headings and used white space to break content down. 

I feel the only thing letting me down is the depth of my work (writing is not my strong point) and the headings in colours that are coming up different from the selection screen.

Quiz 10 reflection


I surprised myself this quiz and on first attempt got 9/10. I was pretty happy with that.
I found this chapter easy to read and not over bearing. When the chapter is lengthy I become confused and need to back track a lot. Short and simple gets the point stored into my hard drive and I have a better chance of applying it.
Second time I got 10/10 and was ready to move on to the final quiz!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adelle,

    For some reason I never saw this post in the past. I agree with your review on the Fitzroy Island website. The website colour scheme, along with the images support their home page statement "Fitzroy Island is a tropical paradise of rainforest and beaches within the calm sheltered waters of the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland."

    Their selection of logo colours is very impressive, since they describe the perception of the accommodation. Located in a rainforest, around beaches with the sun shining. Sounds perfect to me!

    Good work Adelle. I thought your review on this website was excellent.

    ReplyDelete