Sunday, 17 August 2014

Week 7

Review a newsletter

I chose to review the first editon for this year of the Crocodile Specialist Group.
http://www.iucncsg.org/365_docs/attachments/protarea/News-7c3e7324.pdf

For a newletter, I felt it containted a little too much information. The editorial, book review, and current topics I found relevant for a newsletter but I felt the journal style reports included in it could have easily been placed in a seperate publication. For someone who is not within the community of the Crocodile Specialiast Group, I feel the information in this newletter could be too overwhelming.

I thought the layout and style was a little lacking and stuck in the 90's. Given the great programs readily available these days to make publications stand out, it could do with some formatting. It made the group appear to be not of a large scale yet a minority.

I felt if it was revamped/restructutered to contain the editorial, current topics such as regional reports, and book reviews, it would be easier to read and appeal to a wider audience, rather than restriciting the audience to simply existing members within the group.

I did think there were possible follow up stories for this newsletter, with the interest in the funding programs to students in research across various locations. A story on how the money has been allocated and how the student is progressing could make for interesting reading in further newsletters.

Quiz 7 reflection

Argh this one I was mad at myself because I didn't listen to the answer that first came to me. I always stumble on words that need " 's" and it drives me mad. This is my weak point with punctuation. I did get 7 out of 10 on my first attempt, but the ones I got wrong were ones I decided to change the answer to. Note to self, 'DO NOT change answers!'

 

Reviewing my own blog for errors!

I am sure there are many I have not picked up on. I tend to get my blog activities done while my toddler is asleep, so I do not expect my blog to be perfect and error free from punctuation and spelling errors. I try to focus on completeing the tasks as best I can. I will review my blog again before it is due as I do think it will affect my overall result at the end of the term. It is an English class, so why would poorly written work pass? I just need to be sure to be child free and distraction free as I go through my work with a fine tooth comb to find my mistakes!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Adelle,

    I am sure that everyone's work will still have many errors. I have no idea how many times I have read through my assignments and still read a word that was miss spelt. So far I have not picked up on any errors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bianca :)
    I find it all becomes a blur when you read it and re read it! So it is only natural for us to miss things. I see typos in lots of newpapers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adelle, you're making good progress with this blog, and importantly, are managing to keep up which is impressive. There are quite a lot of typos throughout, so make sure you set aside time to review your posts. You will be given a checklist in Week 12 to work though everything quite systematically. In the meantime, keep going, and I'll look forward to seeing your work progress. I hope the chickens are going well - that was a cute story! I hope this helps, Kate.

    ReplyDelete